Monday, July 2, 2012

#6 Learn how to drive stick shift

Full disclosure.  I kinda know how to drive stick shift, and kinda learned in the year 2000. Kinda. But could I hop into a manual and actually drive it today?  That would be a negative, Charlie.

So this challenge #6 Learn how to drive stick shift is going to put to bed a somewhat arbitrary feeling of weakness... I don't want to have a "I don't know how to drive a stick shift" moment ever again in my life.  And, if I happen to buy a new car in a year or so, it would be awesome to have the option to buy a sports car, which are best when they are manual, right?  And what if I want to rent a car and drive around Europe? See, ample reason for me to learn this valuable skill.

Lucky for me, I had several people volunteer to put their clutches in dangers way!  One of those kind people was a buddy from college, Russell.

Russell!!!
At 6'4", Russell is one tall dude.  And patient.  Very, very patient... 
Russell explaining the workings of his car...
Russell and I meet up, and he launches in to a discussion on how to shift, what to do, etc... and then we switch places in the car.  Since Russell is 6'4", and I'm a mere 5'6.5", I proceed to shift the seat up about 3 feet :)
Looking like I know what I'm doing, right???
And then... we roll.  Or rather, we attempt to roll and stall out.  About fifty dozen times.  Sigh.  I've been driving automatic for almost 15 years (yes, I got my learners permit when I was 15, God Bless Alabama), and I'm VERY comfortable driving automatic, especially when I get to drive large vehicles such as the most beautiful truck in the world, affectionately known as "Biggie":

So using my left leg while driving?  Completely foreign.  Weird.  I kept easing off the clutch and forgetting to press the gas.  Not sure why, but I stuttered, stuttered, and then stalled out, a lot.

Now, when I tried to get in to first gear on a tiny hill (and I mean tiny, literally one degree), I did much better, as I didn't want to roll back, and I switched from clutch to gas much more quickly...


And eventually, I got into first gear (sometimes).  Once or twice, after getting into first gear, I then got into second gear.  Twice, I turned around in the parking lot and moved into second gear at the same time - woah, multi task much???  And once, I even hit a speed fast enough that I had to shift into 3rd gear!!!  Yes, third gear!!! WOOO!!  Of course, all of this was done in a desolate parking lot, so no humans, other than myself and poor Russell, were ever in danger...

I'm actually driving!!!!

And this is all thanks to a very patient friend, Russell.  THANK YOU SO MUCH RUSSELL!!   I couldn't have done this without you.  For all the times I made your car stutter and shudder, your tires squeal from giving it too much gas, and your car stall (and had to restart it)... I beg your forgiveness.  Or your cars forgiveness, that is...


I can't wait to practice some more!!!  Who's willing to sacrifice their car, clutch and gas mileage???  :)

3 comments:

  1. I love any post that begins with "full disclosure"!!! Russell does seem VERY patient. :) Keep up the good work Bama! You are really getting close! In all reality, you are right where you should be. After all, if you do everything on your list, what on earth will you do once you turn 30?!?!?! (new challenges???....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russell you brave man! Congrats Kimmy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manual and automatic transmissions are worlds apart, so learning to drive stick shift is a challenge, despite being a newbie or an expert. Russell was a very wonderful teacher, HUGE props to him for that! You were lucky to have your friend as your teacher because making mistakes in front of an instructor can leave students embarrassed. Congrats for scratching this out your list, Kim!

    Marvis Carswell

    ReplyDelete