Wednesday, June 20, 2012

#3 Get certified in spinning

Do you ever want to do something, but you don't necessarily have a great reason for why?  To be more specific, your reason is simply "Just because," or "I just think it would be awesome", rather than a more well defined answer that is compelling, like "I want to do this because it will save the world, cure cancer, and make money grow on trees."

Yeah.  No great story behind #3 Get certified in spinning, and no real reason for why. Mainly, it's just because I wanted to.  I may never do anything with the certification, and that's just fine with me. Maybe it will come in handy one day and if it does, well that's sprinkles on the frosting on the cake :)  Maybe not. But still, I wanted to do it.

So I signed up for the 9 hour Spin Instructor Orientation workshop on spinning.com, and showed up at the gym near Times Square. The instructor for the class was Iona Passik, who has taught spinning since 1991, and who was taught spinning from spinning's creator, Johnny G.  Pretty impressive, right?

Throughout the course of the day we alternated from lectures in a classroom, where we went through the Spin Instructor's Manual, to lectures and rides in a spinning studio.  One of the main things we focused on in the morning was how to safely and properly set up the spin bike.  See, spinning bikes are completely adjustable - from the seat height, to the placement of the seat from front to back, to the handlers up or down, etc.  You need to have it properly set up, or you could injure yourself.

Fellow students in the Spin Instructor Class - I'm in the back of the room in the mirror on the far left :)
After setting our own bikes, we then hop on and start pedaling for the next hour, and go through the proper form for each of the various positions - seated flat, standing flat, standing climb, jumps, etc.  This is where I learn that I've been "standing flat" incorrectly for the past five years.  Oops. 

After the one hour "form" ride, we take a lunch break and are back in the classroom to learn four important items: how to combine different positions in to a flowing, challenging class, the importance of music, tips on being a great instructor, and finally - the importance of heart rate monitoring.  After learning all this, we had back down to the cycling studio and complete another hour long class, but this one is NOT easy... it's taught by the masterful Iona, and I'm sweating like a pig after only the warm up!!!

I learned a couple of interesting things while in Spin Instructor Class:
  1. Spinning is not just a cardio workout.  It's a spiritual journey, kinda like yoga.
  2. Spin music is supposed to be world / jazz music, not Top 40 music.
  3. There is no yelling in spin class.  No Jillian Michael's "KEEP MOVING UNTIL YOU PUKE OR PASS OUT!".  It's about positive, zen-like reinforcement. 
  4. I've been doing spinning kinda wrong for the past five years... 
  5. Even if I never teach a spin class, I am so grateful that I took the class... I learned a lot about something that I thought I was "experienced" with.  

The final step to get my certification is to take an online exam... 50 questions... if I pass (80% required), I'm certified... and well...


I PASSED!

So I am now an official, certified spinning instructor.  I can teach a class if I want.

Or, I can just continue to take classes and enjoy my newly acquired knowledge. It's nice to learn new skills and have options.  Getting certified in spinning is something that I've wanted to do for a while, and I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to do it :)

2 comments:

  1. It seems that being a certified spinner goes along with your series 7 or 63 or whatever in a very mutually beneficial manner.... (just kidding) :<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... true. And I have my 7 and 24 :) And yes, I use them about as much as I'll probably use my spin instructor certification ;)

      Delete