Sunday, June 17, 2012

#1 Go skydiving!

I don't know why I've always wanted to go skydiving.  I just have, and it's always been on my list of things that I wanted to do one day.  Any time I've heard anyone else talk about it, I've always commented that I wanted to do it, too.  But I just never got around to doing it...

So obviously, the first thing on my list was #1 Go Skydiving!

What I found interesting is that not every one shares my excitement skydiving.  I was actually kinda shocked.  I emailed a bunch of girlfriends asking if any of them wanted to go with me, thinking that they'd all say "yes", but the majority responded with "hell no" (synopsis of the conversation).

Thank goodness my work colleague Elizabeth (we shared bone marrow together for #17 - try a new food) was enthusiastic.  What made us even more enthusiastic is that we found a groupon via Gilt City  for 50% off!  Now, most people also responded to the fact that we were going skydiving with a groupon with "Do you really want to skydive at a discount", but I had already scoped out the joint.  The groupon was just the icing on the cake!

So on Saturday, June 9, 2012, Elizabeth and I woke up early and drove (in Elizabeth's amazing Audi convertible to Skydive Jersey:

Elizabeth and I driving in her convertible :)
Skydive Jersey is located at Alexandria Field in Pittstown, NJ:

We arrived, parked, and got driven to the Skydive Jersey offices in a golf cart:

We then watch a video on the safety harness, and sign a four page legal document... one of provisions on that document was acknowledging that I could be injured or killed...  Not too comforting, but at the same time, so many more have gone before me and were fine... so what did I have to lose?

Elizabeth signing her life away :)
I also noticed that they sold cute t-shirts like the following:

So after signing our life away, we get harnessed up.  And everything else happens so quickly.  Tall, gorgeous Chuck (my instructor) says "Let's go!" and we walk over to the airplane.

Elizabeth and her instructor climb in first, and then I climb in, followed by my instructor Chuck.  Now, this plane is not what I imagined it would be.  I was envisioning it being bigger, and thought we would be sitting on little benches along the side of the plane and then having to jump out (I've seen way too many spy / war movies, apparently).  But no... it is a tiny plane, and the five of us (there is a pilot, after all) are scrunched close together.

So we're in the plane, and we start taxiing to the runway, and meanwhile, I'm starting to get nervous.  I mean, I'm in a tiny plane, and I'm about to jump out of it.  There is no way out.  Not that I was looking for one, but still... 
The longest part of the trip was actually the flight - it took about 10 minutes or so to reach 10,000 feet, and then my instructor starts telling me what I need to know.  Now I'm getting nervous...

...and then all the sudden, he opens the door to the plane, which is, by the way, literally right next to me.  So I manage a "Gah!!!" sound and my instructor puts one foot on the little ledge (OUTSIDE THE PLANE!), and tells me to put my feet on the ledge.  I grab hold to the side of the plane through the open door, say "AHHH!" one more time, put my left foot out, say "OH MY GOD WHAT AM I DOING!", and then my place my right foot on to the ledge.

Now, Chuck (my instructor) takes his good ole time (it seemed like hours) doing some final preparations. One of the things he told me earlier is that he will do the jumping for me, so I just have to get out on the ledge and he'll take it from there. All I have to do is keep my head pressed back on to his right shoulder so I don't smash him in the face with the back of my skull.

And then, after waiting for what seemed like forever, we're falling ("plummeting to the Earth" is how one friend described it).  I immediately go from being nervous to having the time of my life (as is evidenced by this picture:

We fall for about 45 seconds before Chuck (my instructor) pulls the cord to release our parachute.  It was such an incredible experience falling at 120 mph.  I didn't even think about the fact that we were "plummeting to the Earth"... I just felt the adrenaline pumping through me, and I LOVED IT.
Too soon, the parachute opens and we slow down to start to float to earth...


While we're floating in the air, Chuck (my instructor) does donuts so we spin around in circles.


Six minutes later, we're maneuvering our way towards our landing site... and I lift my legs up, and we scoot in on our bums.  I high five Chuck, and Elizabeth and I hug and excitedly talk about how much fun we just had...



Watch my skydive journey here!!!

After we landed, we took a photo together.  The plane that took us up is in the background!!

Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat.  If any of you want to go, I'm there with you.  Diving through the sky, falling to earth, and then gliding through the air, breathing and observing, was just too incredible for words. For me, the scariest part was working my way out of the plane... but now that I've done it once, I think I'll be much less scared the next time! 

Now, my family knew that this was on my list... but I didn't tell them the date that I would be jumping. Right after we safely returned to earth, I called both my Mom and Dad to tell them the good news.  My Dad chuckled (in relief) and told whomever he was with "My daughter just jumped out of a perfectly good plane!", and my Mom (who I had talked to the previous night) scolded me for not telling her I was going to be doing this.  She then admitted that she was glad I had not told her, as she would have been worrying the entire time. :)

After our skydiving adventure, Elizabeth and I went to a local Jersey winery, Alba, and sampled the wines.
The most delicious red raspberry dessert wine... I could drink the entire bottle in one sitting... so yum!

Elizabeth brought cheese, veggies and dip for our lunch after wine tasting
This was one of the most fun days I've had in a long while... from riding in a convertible, singing at the top of our lungs, to SKYDIVING, to wine tasting... this was such a perfect day.  Thank you, Elizabeth, for going with me and celebrating my birthday in such style!!!

Elizabeth and I singing along to Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call me maybe"









Highly recommend skydiving to each and all of you.  In fact, everyone gets a discounted rate for the rest of 2012 as my referral, so let me know and I can hook you up!!!  It was safe, and it was just so much fun.  And, Chuck (my instructor), why don't you call me, maybe?  :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment